Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Paint in a closet?

The last thing an artist wants to do is throw his or her painting into a closet. Well, I guess I can't overgeneralize. When I say artist I mean me. It kills me to think that thirty or forty hours of work can sit, collect dust, and take up space behind a closed door. Art, at least this art project, is meant to be seen.

As I'm sitting, chewing on some spinach during my lunch break, I consider what to do with my Even Me paintings as I finish one after the otherI am about 1/3 of the way done with two faces, John and Glory. Will where they go when they're finished? Will they sit in a storage unit? Or, I guess they could take up space in my apartment while I start new faces

Having said that, those two options don't sound too appealing. So, here's a thought. Originally, I wanted to wait to show all 24 Even Me faces together, which would probably be sometime in 2014. And, I'm still going to do that, but until then, I want to show one or two paintings at a time for a few reasons:

1. If I have real-life (not just in my head) deadlines, I will be more motivated to paint.
2. Showing a couple paintings here and there will help familiarize communities of the final 20 x 30 ft installation, which could ultimately open up more opportunities in the future. 
3. I could escape my worst fear: paintings in a closet

So. There you have it. If you're in contact with any galleries, coffee shops, boutiques, museums, airports, or any space (even your house) that could hold a 4x4ft painting (or more), please email me at jennathorp@gmail.com. Maybe John and Glory can lead this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment